Tuthill Corporation was started in 1892 when James B. Tuthill started a business to manufacture and sell common brick to Chicago construction companies who were fueling the city's rapid expansion. While searching for an efficient way to lift clay from the bottom of the quarry and deliver it to the kilns where it would become brick, Tuthill came upon its first successful innovation in the pump industry. The product was a small internal gear pump that injected oil directly into the burner of a truck-mounted boiler. This pump eventually became the foundation of Tuthill Pump Company, a separate entity created in 1927.
Tuthill Corporation is known for a portfolio of trusted products. In Alsip, Illinois Tuthill manufacturers process, lubrication, and magnetically coupled pumps. In Ft. Wayne, Indiana and Lenexa, Kansas Tuthill manufacturers Fill-Rite fuel transfer pumps, Sotera chemical transfer pumps, and Precision meters.